Suicidal thoughts, much like mental health conditions, can affect anyone regardless of age, gender or background. In fact, suicide is often the result of an untreated mental health condition. Suicidal thoughts, although common, should not be considered normal and often indicate more serious issues.
Each year, more than 41,000 individuals die by suicide, leaving behind their friends and family members to navigate the tragedy of loss. In many cases, friends and families affected by a suicide loss (often called “suicide loss survivors”) are left in the dark. Too often the feelings of shame and stigma prevent people with suicidal thoughts from talking openly.
September is National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month. While suicide prevention is important to address year-round, Suicide Prevention Awareness Month provides a dedicated time to come together with collective passion and strength around a difficult topic. The truth is, we can all benefit from honest conversations about mental health conditions and suicide, because just one conversation can change a life.
- If you or someone you know is in an emergency, call 911 immediately.
- If you are in crisis or are experiencing difficult or suicidal thoughts, call the National Suicide Hotline at 800-273-TALK (8255).
- If you’re uncomfortable talking on the phone, you can also text NAMI at 741-741 to be connected to a free, trained crisis counselor on the Crisis Text Line.
- McLeod County Mental Health Crisis Response Services is now available 24/7 at 320-864-2713 or 888-302-2898.
- Hutchinson Health 24-hour Helpline: 320-484-4585
- Woodland Centers Crisis Line: 800-432-8781
- Suicide Prevention Hotline: 800-273-8255, En Español: 888-628-9454
- The Trevor Project LGBTQ Crisis and Suicide Hotline: 866-488-7386
- Veterans Crisis Line: 800-273-8255
- Teen Crisis Line: 310-855-4673
- Power of Produce Club: Wednesdays and Saturdays, the club provides free produce for children age 3-12 at the Hutchinson Farmers Market, Depot Marketplace, 25 Adams St. S.E. Market hours are 2:30-5:30 p.m. Wednesday and 8 a.m.-noon Saturday. The market continues through October.
- Wheel & Cog: $2 Tuesdays 4-7 p.m. on Sept. 10 and 24 offer reduced admission at the Wheel & Cog Children's Museum of Hutchinson, Hutchinson Mall, 1060 State Highway 15 S.
- Running group: Wednesdays and Saturdays, the Hutchinson Community Running Group meets 7 p.m. at Library Square. Connect on Facebook for run updates.
- BikeHutch: Connect with the Hutchinson Biking Group on Facebook for local rides and trail conditions.
- Luce Line Lace-Up: Pick your distance for the Saturday, Sept. 14, even: 1 mile, 5K, 10K or half marathon. Registration is open at lucelinelaceup.com.
- Spooky Sprint: Registration is open for the 5K family fun run/walk and the 1/2-mile kids dash on Saturday, Oct. 26. Visit spookysprint.org. Costumes are welcome.