News

News

McLeod County will have new voting machines in the 2020 primary and general elections.

In 2017, the county applied for a voting equipment grant from the Secretary of State and received $52,024. From that, $23,310 was used for electronic rosters. It covered 75 percent of the cost while cities and townships covered the remaining 25 percent.

The remaining $28,713 will aid with electronic tabulator equipment. Cities and townships will be responsible for the hardware costs, minus a reduction from the grant dollars and a 50 percent trade-in allowance for old machines. The county will cover initial startup costs and the cost of upgrading software.

Cities and townships are expected to pay $3,862 of the $5,480 cost for each machine.

— Jeremy Jones

Recommended for you