One of the major attractions at the Great Minnesota Get-Together is the food. Whether you're looking for a main course, quick snack or something in between, the Minnesota State Fair has something for you to savor.
This year, the State Fair is adding 31 official new foods and seven new food vendors. In total, nearly 500 foods are available at 300 different concession locations throughout the fairgrounds.
This year's new taste sensations include:
- Bada Bing Sandwich: Italian-inspired warm flatbread sandwich with ham, salami, melted mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, fresh basil and creamy balsamic vinaigrette dressing at the Sandwich Stop, on the west side of Clough Street between Carnes and Judson avenues.
- Blueberry Key Lime Pie: Blueberry Key lime filling in a graham cracker crust, topped with whipped cream and fresh blueberries at Farmers Union Coffee Shop, on the north side of Dan Patch Avenue between Cooper and Cosgrove streets.
- Boozy Berries and ‘Barb Trifle: Five-layer cold trifle with vanilla pound cake, lemon curd, Cannon River Gris wine and blueberry compote, more pound cake and Gris and rhubarb compote, topped with mint-infused fresh whipped cream and Gris and blueberry coulis at the Hideaway Speakeasy, in the Veranda, Grandstand upper level, northwest section.
- Breakfast Potato Skin: Deep-fried potato skin stuffed with scrambled eggs and peppers, topped with blackened beef chislic — a South Dakota bar food staple — and drizzled with bearnaise sauce at the Blue Barn, located at West End Market, south of the History and Heritage Center.
- Carnitas Taco Cone: Carnitas with a sesame-garlic ginger sauce, cabbage, lime and queso fresco, topped with green onion and sour cream and served in a deep-fried cone-shaped tortilla at San Felipe Tacos, in the Food Building, east wall.
- Carolina Pit-Smoked Brisket Taco: Beef brisket pit-smoked over hickory charcoal, shredded and topped with smoked Gouda cheese, a pickled kale crunch made with kale, Brussels sprouts, carrots, radicchio, napa and red cabbage, with a drizzle of BBQ sauce and served in a flour tortilla with tortilla chips at Shanghaied Henri’s, in the International Bazaar, north wall.
- Cheesy Sriracha Funnel Cake Bites: Bite-sized funnel cake pieces infused with a blend of Parmesan, Romano and mozzarella cheeses, deep-fried and finished with a sprinkle of sharp cheddar and chives, and served with homemade Sriracha aioli dipping sauce. Ranch or garlic butter dipping sauce is also available at Funnel Cakes, on the north side of Dan Patch Avenue between Nelson and Underwood streets.
- Cuban Fusion Fajita: Carnitas-style roast pork, deli-sliced ham, Swiss cheese, dill pickles and Juanita’s Fajitas’ signature mustard folded into a flour tortilla at Juanita’s Fajitas, west of Nelson Street just south of the Grandstand.
- Deep-Fried Dilly Dog: Pickle stuffed with bratwurst, dipped in batter and deep-fried at Swine and Spuds, in the Warner Coliseum, east side.
- Duck Drummies: Duck wings coated in a batter and seasoning blend, deep-fried and served with Giggles’ own tequila lime dipping sauceat Giggles’ Campfire Grill, on the southeast corner of Lee Avenue and Cooper Street at The North Woods.
- Feta Bites: Deep-fried Greek pasta dough stuffed with feta cheese, cream cheese and Dino’s Greek seasoning. Served with a creamy olive tapenade at Dino’s Gyros, on the north side of Carnes Avenue between Nelson and Underwood streets.
- Fried Tacos On-A-Stick: Two stuffed tacos — one filled with green chorizo and potatoes and one filled with a vegetarian black bean and corn mix — deep-fried, topped with crumbled cheese and a drizzle of guacamole salsa and served on-a-stick. Available Aug. 28-Sept. 2 only, at Midtown Global Market’s Taco Cat, in the Taste of the Midtown Global Market booth at the International Bazaar, east wall.
- Grilled Sota Sandwich: Cinnamon nut butter and Minnesota blueberry marmalade served warm on Irish soda bread. Gluten-free and dairy-free, at Brim, at the North End, northwest section.
- Halo Cone: A swirled blend of cotton candy and blue raspberry soft serve ice cream in a halo of vanilla cotton candy and sprinkled with a mix of candy toppings at Rainbow Ice Cream, in the Grandstand, upper level, east section near the stairs tower.
- The Hot Hen: BBQ chips topped with smoked pulled buffalo chicken, blue cheese fondue, pickled jalapeños, tomatoes, green onions and blue cheese crumbles at RC’s BBQ, on the north side of West Dan Patch Avenue between Liggett and Chambers streets.
- Irish Whiskey Boneless Wings: All-natural white chicken chunks, breaded, deep-fried, tossed in Irish whiskey BBQ sauce and garnished with chopped scallions, gluten-free, at O’Gara’s at the Fair, on the southwest corner of Dan Patch Avenue and Cosgrove Street.
- Jamm’in Brisket Grilled Cheese: Slow-smoked brisket, red onion jam, cheddar and pepper jack cheeses and RC’s hot BBQ sauce at At RC’s BBQ, on the north side of West Dan Patch Avenue between Liggett and Chambers streets.
- Joey Mary: An iced coffee slushie topped with a skewer of gluten-free baked goods, including a chocolate bite, honey toffee crunch and almond cookie at Brim, at the North End, northwest section
- Lamb T-Bone Chops: All-natural, 100% grass-fed grilled lamb loins seasoned with Mama Fatima’s Holy Land Marinade at Holy Land, at the International Bazaar, southeast corner.
- Lavender Lemonade: Pink lemonade made with fresh lavender leaves at Farmers Union Coffee Shop, on the north side of Dan Patch Avenue between Cooper and Cosgrove streets.
- Mini Donut Latte: A traditional latte with house-made mini donut flavoring, whole milk and espresso topped with a dusting of cinnamon and sugar at the Anchor Coffee House, on the west side of Underwood Street between Carnes and Judson avenues outside Ramberg Music Cafe.
- No Bologna Coney: Italian mortadella pork sausage flavored with pistachios and Mancini’s pepper blend, served on a buttered and toasted split-top bun, and topped with mild muffuletta olive and pepper salad at At Mancini’s al Fresco, on the north side of Carnes Avenue between Nelson and Underwood streets.
- Nordic Waffles in Pebbles and Bam Bam and Al Pastor varieties: Two new fresh-made waffle wraps: Pebbles and Bam Bam with warm Reese’s chocolate peanut butter cups and fruity cereal; and Waffle Al Pastor made with Mexican-style marinated pork, pineapple, onions, cilantro and salsa verde, both available at Nordic Waffles, at West End Market, southwest section.
- Peaches n’ Cream Nachos: A bed of cinnamon sugar pita chips with Bridgeman’s Peaches n’ Cream ice cream, peach topping, a drizzle of honey and crushed pecans, finished with whipped cream, a cherry and a dusting of cinnamon sugar at Bridgeman’s Ice Cream, on the northeast corner of Judson Avenue and Liggett Street.
- Shrimp and Grits Fritters: Aged cheddar grits, gulf shrimp, onions and Creole seasoning, deep-fried and served with aioli dipping sauce, gluten-free, at Funky Grits, in the Food Building, east wall.
- Snow Cap Mini Waffle Sundae: Mini waffle topped with a scoop of Izzy’s cream cheese ice cream, warm real maple syrup and a maraschino cherry at Hamline Church Dining Hall, on the north side of Dan Patch Avenue between Underwood and Cooper streets.
- Stuffed Cabbage Roll: Cabbage leaves wrapped around seasoned ground pork and rice, prepared with tomato sauce and served with a dinner roll at iPierogi, in the Food Building, south wall.
- Tipsy Pecan Tart: Pecan pie infused with Dubliner Irish Whiskey and baked in a buttery shortbread shell, gluten-free, at Sara’s Tipsy Pies, in the Food Building, south wall.
- Turkish Pizza: A Turkish-style cracker-thin flatbread, authentically named Lahmacun, topped with spicy minced beef, onion, tomato, lettuce, cucumber salad, parsley, fresh herbs, a squeeze of lemon and garlic sauce, then rolled or folded at Blue Moon Dine-In Theater, on the northeast corner of Carnes Avenue and Chambers Street.
- Warm Cheesecake Tart: Cheesecake in a tart crust served warm with choice of chocolate, salted caramel or strawberry glaze or without topping at LuLu’s Public House, at West End Market, south of Schilling Amphitheater.
- Wingwalker Donut Flight: An assortment of hot, deep-fried cake donut holes and three syringes with DIY fillings: Bavarian cream, chocolate custard and Minnesota lingonberry jam at The Hangar, at the North End, southwest section.
The new vendors serving food at the State Fair are Blue Ox Burger Bar, Brim, Funky Grits, iPierogi, Kora’s Cookie Dough, Strawberries ‘n Crème and Thelma’s Handmade Ice Cream Sandwiches.
The Minnesota State Fair runs Aug. 22-Sept. 2. It is one of the largest and best-attended expositions in the world, attracting more than 2 million visitors annually. For more information, visit mnstatefair.org.